Posted: 29 Nov 2011 09:15 PM PST
The Rating Scale Breakdown:
A. Installation AVG – 5.0 "Excellent" – A very easy 2-3 click install.
B. Un-installing AVG – 4.5 "Great" – Very easy to un-install. But you will require a reboot. To completely remove AVIRA from your system.
C. Stability Of Program – 4.0 "Great" – There is a minor glitch with regards to the AVIRA pop-up ad on the lower right hand corner of your screen. Not being able to be close or remind me later. Also been known to lag out some computers.
D. Has AVIRA Free Been Compromised By Hackers Or Virus – 5.0 "Excellent" – No issues reported thus far
E. Speed of Scan – 3.5 "Average" – Pretty slow when you compare it to most other freeware anti-virus software out there.
F. Does AVIRA Free Do Automatic Updates By Itself Without Any Issue – 4.0 "Great" – Yes. But often it seems that doing a manual product update will yield newer versions earlier then. You are normally prompted.
G. Internet Browser Cookie Detection Rate And Removal Test – 1.5 "Terrible" - You are way better off with something like SUPERAntiSpyware or CCleaner that is more dedicated to removal of Internet cookies. AVIRA's Internet cookie detection rate is terrible even with the option active and checked off.
1. Anti-Virus Detection Rate Test:
1A. Windows XP - 4.5 "Great"
1B. Windows Vista - 4.5 "Great"
1C. Windows 7 - 4.5 "Great"
2. Anti-Spyware – 1.5 "Terrible" – AVIRA still seems to miss very common and not so common spyware/adware. You are much better off with SUPERAntiSpyware or Spybot as your adware, spyware, malware protection.
3. AVIRA WebGurad – 3.0 "Average" – Not a fan. But it can be very very useful to some.
4. AVIRA Security ToolBar – 2.0 "Poor" – This toolbar can cause crashes on a number of Internet browsers. We also noticed it caused some strange behavior when dealing with certain websites.
5. Root Kit Detection Rate – 4.0 "Great" – Even thou AVIRA does not have a dedicated Root Kit scanner like the new AVG 2012 does. It still has a rather good detection rate overall.
6. AVIRA Support – Not Tested - With only a free rather complex forum to use. This has to be one of the easier parts of AVG to rate SADLY.
My Overall Score: 55.5/75
74.4 % = B -
My Final Verdict -PART 1- Avira Free lacks many of the features of it's direct competition. For me just having a 3 main feature line up (Main residential shield, web gurad and link scanner AKA toolbar) is no longer good enough for an Anti-Virus going into 2012. Regardless if you factor in its free.
My Final Verdict -PART 2- Normally I would highly recommend AVIRA Free. And don't get me wrong, I still do for people that want a less complicated anti-virus or just want a really simple overall user interface.
But for me to recommend this over AVG 2012 or even AVAST Free. Is hard for me to do. For one AVG 2012 has way more features and no ad/nag screen to deal with. Then there is AVAST. Where if you don't mind lag on older systems it comes packed with something like 12 or so different shields and or filters. To cover your whole PC with more protection then you can shake a stick at (And it is free as well).
Here are 2 links to download AVIRA Free Anti-Virus:
1. http://www.avira.com/en/for-home (AVIRA's Main Site)
2. Download link not available at this time for this version (Via Download.com/Cnet)
Till The Next Review,
|You are subscribed to email updates from The Computer Savvy Weblog |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610|