- AVG Free Anti-Virus 2012 Version (2012.0.1834) – Freeware Review
- New Auslogics BoostSpeed (188.8.131.52) Version Released
- New Version Of Auslogics Disk Defrag (184.108.40.206) Is Now Available To Download
Posted: 01 Nov 2011 09:15 PM PDT
The Rating Scale Breakdown:
A. Installation AVG – 4.0 "Great" – Slower then AVG claims.
B. Un-installing AVG – 3.5 "Average" – A little faster then AVG 2011
C. Stability Of Program - 5.0 "Excellent" – We have received absolutely no e-mails about the lack of stability.
D. Has AVG Free Been Compromised By Hackers Or Virus – 5.0 "Excellent" – No issues reported thus far.
E. Speed of Scan – 5.0 "Excellent " – Very quick on most computers. And now you have the option to choose how much Memory/Ram you want each scheduled scan to take up.
F. Does AVG Free Do Automatic Updates By Itself Without Any Issue – 5.0 " Excellent" – Yes, and this time around there seems to be no stalling and or hanging. When we manually update AVG. As we have seen in older versions of AVG.
G. Internet Browser Cookie Detection Rate And Removal Test – 2.5 "Poor" - You are way better off with something like SUPERAntiSpyware or CCleaner that is more dedicated to removal of Internet cookies. AVG Internet cookie detection rate is terrible even with the option active and checked off.
1. Anti-Virus Detection Rate Test:
1A. Windows XP – 4.0 "Great"
1B. Windows Vista – 4.0 "Great"
1C. Windows 7 - 4.0 "Great"
2. Anti-Spyware - 2.0 "Poor" – AVG still seems to miss very common and not so common spyware/adware. You are much better off with SUPERAntiSpyware or Spybot as your adware, spyware, malware protection.
3. One Click Fix – 5.0 "Excellent" – I love this idea and is saves a lot of the headaches. When I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my AVG.
4. Link Scanner - 4.5 "Great" - Not a fan. But it can be very very useful to some.
5. Family Safety – 4.5 "Great" – Cost $19.99 CAD per year for 3 computers to activate this just added feature -But it covers unlimited profiles. So you can have just one kid or 11 kids and your good. Provided it is only used with up to 3 PC's
6. LiveKive – Not Tested – This feature has just been added to AVG Dashboard. But it cost money to activate. -See below for cost to activate feature-
*Cost $49.99 CAD for 25 GB of storage per year.
*Cost $79.99 CAD for Unlimited storage per year.
*** DISCLAIMER: Both 5 & 6 are not included in overall score. As they are not included and cost extra.
7. AVG Security ToolBar - 4.0 "Great" - This toolbar in the past versions have caused crashes. But thus far no such issues to report.
8. AVG SideBar Gadget – 3.5 "Average" – Much better then AVG 2011 as it appears a little less bulky. It does cause problems when you already have your side bar full of way more useful widgets/gadgets already.
9. Residential Shield Test - 3.5 "Average" – I still find AVIRA and AVAST seems to grab the virus way before AVG. But there is indeed some major overall improvements here yet again.
10. E-Mail Scanner - 3.5 "Average" - This is option great if you can figure out how to set it up.
11. Updating - 5.0 "Excellent " – No issues here at all. And AVG even seems to be a little bit faster then past versions of AVG. Barely even noticeable to most users.
12. Anti-RootKit – 4.5 "Great" – Very hit and miss. But can be very useful if there is a reason to believe you may have a deep rooted virus. Never hurts to run this every few weeks just to be on the safe side. And AVG has it as a completely separate dedicated scan option as well (Which makes it way quicker to run and it uses much less system resources.)
13. Identity Protection - 4.5 "Great" – A very useful feature that lets you know when you maybe at risk for identity theft and or other important information maybe at risk. Such as with Peer 2 Peer file sharing programs, certain add-ons and some toolbars.
14. PC Analyzer – 0.5 "Abysmal" - If you don't mind that you only can fix your errors for free once then great. But if you are like me and you probably feel this options is both somewhat misleading and out right bait to buy this extremely expensive add-on. Then you are probably with me on my conclusion.
15. AVG Support – 1.0 "Terrible" – With only a free forum that is both hard to use and very disorganized. I can't recommend using it as it will just end up in pure frustration and often just un-installing AVG altogether. Or of course you could visiting a site like ours.
My Overall Score: 92.5/120
77 % = B +
My Final Verdict -Part 1- The main difference in AVG Free Anti-Virus 2012. Is the minimalist (less detailed) UI (User Interface). For most users this will be fine and dandy. But I find it very frustrating as it seems that AVG decided to move all the technical information. Such as the version codes over to the AVG HELP section.
My Final Verdict -Part 2- I also noticed it looks like AVG stripped down on many of it's features that were present in AVG Free Anti-Virus 2011. But actually that is not the case. They instead hide both the interface icons and said options in a more user unfriendly manner. You maybe asking me Kirbe "Where did they put those options ?" Well glade you asked. They hide them in "Tools tab" under "Advanced setting". So there you go. they appear to have vanished but instead are very well hidden for most basic users.
**As per the norm it is highly recommend that you upgrade to the new AVG Free Anti-Virus 2012. As soon as possible if you are still using one of AVG older versions. So you can insure you have the best protection AVG has to offer.
Here are 2 links to download AVG Free Anti-Virus 2012:
1. http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-free-antivirus (AVG Main Site)
2. http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2012/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=rb_content;main (Via download.com/Cnet)
Till The Next Review,
Posted: 01 Nov 2011 04:34 PM PDT
Ok, so there has been a new major release for Auslogic BoostSpeed 5 and this would be version (220.127.116.11) for all of us that are still keeping track.
Just a heads up. This is a whole new and upgraded product from the old Auslogic BoostSpeed 4.0 or 4.5 versions. You will require a new licensee to use this version.
If you are diving in for the first time. You are looking at $50.59 CAD or $49.95 USD to buy the program for 3 PC's for 1 year time frame.
Main Auslogic WebSite Link: http://www.auslogics.com/en/
Till The Next Update,
Posted: 01 Nov 2011 04:24 PM PDT
Enjoy the latest version of Auslogics Disk Defrag. Which is now available to download via the following link Download.com.
I have checked the above link and it works. But please report via comment or e-mail if this link some how becomes broken.
Till The Next Update,
|You are subscribed to email updates from The Computer Savvy Weblog |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610|